Saturday, June 26, 2010

Always flying...

I'm working on my fall schedule today and thinking about the Chronicle posting (listed below) that I read a couple of weeks ago about how some doctoral students become so comfortable at their institutions that they don't want to leave---even when it's apparent that it's time to leave. I guess there are undergraduates who are like that too. I certainly can remember a few during my undergraduate years who had been in school for eons (six, seven, eight years with no sign of finishing---come to think of it, the team mascot was 30 before officials is finally made him leave...hahahaha!). Personally, I was always in a hurry for whatever reason. Just always hurrying to the next step like time is running out---not stopping to enjoy the journey, I suppose. I still do it now...it's just part of my nature, I suppose. I rationalize now by thinking that it's because I'm in my 40s and don't have the time like I did in my 20s. I guess part of that could be right but then I felt the same during my late teens and early 20s too. Come to think of it, I was in a hurry to finish grade school, high school, college, my first job....

When new Phds Won't Leave

I direct our grad program-- humanities, decent enough school and (here's the kicker) one of those places people really like to live. The problem? Increasingly, our PhDs are refusing to leave. This year, we had two who were...more

No comments:

Post a Comment