Sunday, July 25, 2010

Almost to the beginning....

So the time is coming around quite quickly now---just over a month from now that I start (or, in some ways, continue) my PhD journey. I've mapped out the schedule I hope to follow for the next few years (just like I did in my undergraduate and masters studies) but, of course, things probably won't work out that way as the timetable is quite ambitious and I don't know if my soon-to-be assigned adviser will go for it.

When I first started graduate school back in 2006, my adviser told me that graduate school was a lot different than undergraduate school, mainly more rigorous and independent and I subsequently found this to be true but it was not an insurmountable barrier. I've been reading the same thing about doctoral study as well. What I've learned is hardly surprising---that each person is unique and that each has to find what works right for him or her. It has not been easy for sure---especially for an older student like me---but I feel that, in my case, just taking it a little bit at a time rather than in totality has helped quite a bit. I hope this approach continues to work. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment